Friday, February 18, 2011

Running Machine

As most know, I consider myself a runner--ran through high school, college and have a several marathons under my belt. Yet, I had no idea that my husband would share such a keen interest in my beloved sport; which has grown considerably since we've been together. Sure, back home, he would go for the occasional (1-2 time weekly) run in the nice weather around the block to keep in shape. However, it is not uncommon for Cary to set the alarm for about 6AM to complete a 5k loop before breakfast here in NZ. Now, this happens like 3-4 times a week!! Sometimes, I even join him, but often opt for an afternoon workout. Whoa--who is this guy? What has he become?

The magazine "Runner's World" often talks about the transition from newbie to occasional jogger then to a runner. There is no question he has reached this final level. I am thrilled that he can find such joy and pleasure out of it.



Even more shocking still--While I was at a personal training session the other day--Cary (unprovoked) completed a 7 mile hilly forest trail run all on his own. I was long done with my workout and as he was pushing in to finish-- he was sweaty, a bit tired, but he had a HUGE grin on his face. It was a sight to behold. Like most runners after a successful run, he was gushing about how good he felt. I was so excited--YES, he finally gets the infamous "runner's high"!!

He even came home later and signed up for the local 10K here in early March. He surely will be making up for my drop in mileage over the next 6-7 months. I'm not sure who is inspiring who anymore?!? We've created a running machine. Though, isn't it neat to share similar interests with someone you love?

No comments:

Post a Comment